According to the National Retail Federation, the average person will spend just over $1,000 this holiday season. Sound like a stretch for your wallet? It might be time to start preparing for next year with a holiday savings account.
A Minster Bank holiday savings account is a tool that can help you plan and save for the season by depositing small amounts throughout the year. Just keep a minimum of $25 in the account, make regular deposits, and when the account matures in 12 months, you might just surprise yourself with how much you’ve saved.
Related: Five tips for sticking to a budget >>
How to save money during the holidays
- Saving money this holiday season is another way to make your bank account breathe easier. Try one of the following ideas and see that less really can be more.
- 1. Carry cash. The act of handing over something when you’re shopping versus swiping a card can make spending seem more real. Because Minster Bank customers can use any ATM in the MoneyPass® network, you’ll find a surcharge-free option near you.
- 2. Use an online banking app. With the Minster Bank Mobile App, you can access Instant Balance with just a tap to see how much is in your account. Debating how much you should spend? A quick look at your bank account could help you decide.
- 3. Keep it simple. Gifts don’t have to be elaborate to be meaningful. And it’s probably not necessary to buy a gift for every one of your coworkers. If you’re crafty, good at sewing, or a baker, something homemade is a cost-effective option.
- 4. Shop the sales. Just because Black Friday is over doesn’t mean you’re out of luck. This is the biggest spending season of the year, and retailers take full advantage. Sign up for email newsletters, pick up circulars in stores, and follow brands on social media to help you find the best deals.
- 5. Stick to a list. Think of holiday shopping like grocery shopping; decide what you want to get each person and write it all down. Cross each item off once you’ve purchased it. That way you’ll remember exactly what you bought and how much you’ve already spent.
Related: How to skip the ATM surcharges >>
Save time and stress less with online and mobile banking
While holiday preparations can be fun, normal life still goes on during November and December. That means bills to pay and banking to take care of. To make things simple, look for online banking options that help eliminate paperwork and allow you to keep track of transactions.
Minster Bank’s online banking features make it easy to check balances, transfer funds, view cashed checks and deposit slips, and more. You can also set up recurring payments so there’s one more thing you don’t need to worry about each month.
If you’re on the go, our mobile app can help you do everything that online banking does, plus more. Deposit a check by snapping a photo, or send or request money from friends and family with Zelle®. It’s banking that fits your schedule – anytime, anywhere this holiday season.
Leave a Reply